The Circulation Department is located at the entrance to the library. Circulation staff members can help patrons check in/check out items, renew items, and put library materials on hold from both our library and libraries throughout Nassau County.
Payment of Library Fines & Fees Through the Online Catalog
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CHARGE WILL APPEAR ON YOUR CREDIT CARD STATEMENT AS "AUTOMATED LIBRARY INFORMATION SYSTEM".
Minimum payment amount is $5.00.
Save Money: Avoid Overdue Fines! Provide an email address or mobile phone number and Opt-in to receive notice before items are due.
LOAN PERIODS & FINES
3 DAY LOAN NEW DVDs, Museum Passes
7 DAY LOAN Express Loan Books, Older DVDs
14 DAY LOAN New books, YA books, books on CD & Cass., music CDs, vhs, Playaways, magazines (current issues remain in-Library use only)
28 DAY LOAN Older books.
FINES PER ITEM/PER DAY
.25 Express Loan
.10 Adult & YA Books, Music CDs, Books-on-Tape, Magazines
.05 Children's Books
1.00 VHS & NEW DVDs Books-on-CD & Cass., Playaways
2.00 Older DVDs
10.00 Museum Passes
Getting a Library Card
Provide a current photo ID (driver's license) & a piece of mail with your current school district # 5 or NHP village address, such as a telephone or utility bill. There is $1 fee for each keytag. Replacement cards are $1.00.
Your Hillside Library Card can be used to check out books at every public library in Nassau County.
If you decide to visit another library to borrow an item, please call beforehand to check library hours, lending policies, & if the item you want is indeed on the shelf.
Renewing a Library Card
Hillside Library Cards expire after 3 years. To renew a Hillside Library Card, patrons must provide a current photo ID & a piece of mail with your current school district # 5 or NHP village address, such as a telephone or utility bill. High School Students may show current school ID or have a parent show a bill to verify address.
If you do not live in school district # 5 or NHP village:
- And live in an area within Nassau County that is NOT serviced by a library, you may be eligible for a
- State Mandated Access Card (SMAC)
- And live outside of Nassau County, you may purchase an annual card & be entitled to privileges at the Hillside Library.
- And live outside of Nassau County and work in the district, you may submit a letter from you employer.
A free Non-Direct Access card will be issued for 1 year and allow cardholders to check out only Hillside Library items. This card may not be used at other Nassau County Libraries. A new letter must be submitted each year for renewal.
- And live outside of Nassau County and own a business in the district, you are entitled to a Direct Access card for 1 year. The card may be renewed annually with proof of updated tax payment.
STATE MANDATED ACCESS CARDS (SMAC)
East Meadow and Levittown Libraries issue State Mandated Cards to the residents of areas that do not have a library. This card can be used at all Nassau County Libraries.
State mandated access card holders MAY checkout all materials EXCEPT :
7 day EXPRESS books AND New DVDs/Blu-Rays AND Museum Passes.
To apply for a State Mandated Access Card:
1) Go to Levittown or East Meadow Library with an original proof of identification and current residency in one of the untaxed-for-library-services areas in Nassau County. Acceptable items include:
- NYS Photo Drivers License/Permit/Non-Driver ID
- NYS Motor Vehicle Registration
- Property Tax Bill
- Lease, Rental Agreement or Mortgage Papers
- Voter Registration Card
- Bank Statement
- School ID Cards
- Other Bills
2) Receive a temporary card (with barcode) that can only be used in issuing library (East Meadow or Levittown).
3) Receive a permanent card via mail within 7-10 days of application.